Tuesday, October 25, 2016

The Fiction of Ideas Response

This weeks readings and subject was really interesting in many different ways. I really enjoy reading books and looking videos/movies that deal with mind experiments and outcomes to those experiments. A lot of what I've read and seen deal with things such like the movie we saw "A Scanner Darkly" by Richard Linklater. The subject of drugs and what drugs can do, following some type of law that is involved. However that is not what Accelerando by Charles Stross, the reading I read for this week  was about, it was something I'm not really interested in, but still fascinated me at the same time. 

Now Accelerando was very interesting, not only because I'm not interested in this subject and it again interested me in the end. But because of the fact that it was something people have discussed, but this was discussed differently. The world basically ended, humanity had been wiped out and there is this virus. Here I think is something everyone's always wondered when talking about an apocalypse. Whether did man make this end of the world or is the world just done with our shit? I too have these thought every once in a while. And this is where the thought of what IF man actually made this happen? Which is what the mind experiment come into play with this reading and topic. People and I believe that somewhere in this hidden underground cave government scientists are creating this virus or have created a virus where these "zombie" like people come to life and now they're trying to fix everything, but somehow can't and all hell breaks loose. 

Either way, I don't think man is smart enough to experiment our own ideas, especially with drugs or viruses. I understand that they're trying to help us, but there's just a point where you just need to think of what could happen long term. For example if we make this killing virus what if it explodes or escapes and gets into the air and everyone dies? Whatever it may be I don't think we think before anything. Which is why the topic of mind experiments come into play. 

No comments:

Post a Comment